Due to personal reasons, for the time being, I shall be celebrating Women in Horror Month online, discussing the work of the incredible women I have encountered over the years and looking to what the future looks like for women working in horror. Jennifer xo


Find me on social media @jennifersbodies on Twitter and Instagram.


"Jennifer’s Bodies is a roving annual festival of female-helmed horror movies and part of Women In Horror Recognition Month, an international assortment of affiliated events organised partly to highlight just how much women can and do contribute to the genre outwith the typically accepted factors of tits, ass and mezzosoprano screaming." Starburst Magazine

Sunday 22 February 2015

Jennifer's Bodies 2015 Line Up - Short Films Category - Sex and Death Explored in Lori Bowen and Shannon Lark's Gore~geous, Yet Strangely Compelling I AM MONSTER!


"Are you really so afraid of getting hurt that you have to fuck corpses?"



I've always had a fascination with people who have sex with corpses.  I remember seeing the Canadian film Kissed when I was 17, and what made it all the more compelling, and intriguing to me; was to see a woman become fascinated with necrophilia.  I loved it!!  And the fact that it was directed by a woman as well...I just thought that was incredible, and a first as far as I was aware!  :)  When you try to explain the fascination to people though, they just look at you like you're a fucking nut job.  HAHA.  



One of my favourite episodes of The X Files is Irresistible (and its follow up Orison).  Irresistible featured the character of Donnie Pfaster, played by Nick Chinlund, in one of the most creepily perfect portrayals of a killer that I have seen.  Donnie Pfaster was based on Jeffrey Dahmer, although the network wouldn't allow creator Chris Carter feature a necrophiliac on primetime TV...so he had to be downgraded to a death fetishist.  



My fellow X Phile Lori Bowen, alongside her partner in crime, Shannon Lark's I AM MONSTER; explores the mind of a quirky necrophiliac called Vivienne, played by the always wonderful joy to watch that is Shannon Lark!  

Erotic, beautiful, gore~geous and feisty, this is a tale of a woman caught up in the dilemma of her clearly sociopathic brain dealing with emotional ambiguity, after one of her corpses "comes to life", and questions her methods of sexual practice.  



Whereas this film, like Kissed, could have been gratuitous for the sake of it...it's really rather sweet and funny.  Don't get me wrong, Shannon Lark's character Vivienne is a COMPLETE sociopath...and I AM MONSTER is the perfect portrayal of a woman determined to fulfill her sexual gratification, and not get hurt...something I think we can all understand to an extent at some point or other.  Just some more than others.  Haha.  

SOCIOPATH - 
"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour."

As far as I am aware, this is only the second female directed film about a female necrophiliac.  Kissed being the first.  One day I really want to make a film that explores this unique mindset.  For such a taboo topic, what Lori and Shannon have done, is create this character that is utterly fascinating, and an absolute joy to watch.  There's more to necrophilia than meets the eye girls and boys!!  ;)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful movie. I've been fascinated by necrophilia as well, but my interest started with the film Liquid Sky. One of the characters uses a corpse to give herself head. It was not a very graphic scene - if I recall correctly - but it infested my brain for quite a while.

    Also, that episode of the X-Files was one of the greats, that's for sure.

    Definitely going to keep my eyes open for this movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll have to check out Liquid Sky. :) And hells yes to Irresistible!! :)

      Delete

Please don't be a douche...the comments section is there for constructive criticism and praise...not for asshole trolls to rant! Ya dig!?!